Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tortillas ala Mom and Nettie Dodson

This recipe comes from my mom and her dear friend Nettie. I can remember as a child sitting at Nettie's home watching her and my mom make these tortillas. She used to cook on an old wood stove and she would roll out her tortillas and toss them onto a cast iron stove lid to cook. My mom also had a stove lid specifically for making tortillas and when I got married - guess what I got as a wedding gift! Yep, a stove lid. Sounds crazy, but they make great tortilla "cookers". If you don't have a cast iron stove lid, then a flat skillet or large skillet will work just as well. Just make sure it's good and hot!

Here we go:

4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt.
1 1/2 c. water
About 2 T. lard (or shortening)

Mix the dry ingredients together, blend with the lard and then add the water. Mix well and break up into golf ball size pieces of dough. Roll out thin and in a circle (yeah, good luck on that one - I still can't do it - mine are more.........oblong!). Anyway, throw one on the lid or skillet and brown on one side, then flip over and do the other side. The cooking is the best part because the tortilla will get all sorts of bubbles on it. As a child, that's the best part.

This recipe says it makes 24, but those are very small tortillas, so you might want to double this recipe. Or, you don't need to double it, but make fewer and bigger tortillas.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this recipe. Make it all the time!!!!!