Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chocolate Upside Down Cake

For years as a child, my mom would make this dessert for my dad. It was one of his favorites. I totally forgot about it until one day I was looking thru a cookbook I had put together as a Christmas gift years ago. I made it and yes, it tastes as good as it did back then. I don't know where she got the recipe from, but it's a definite keeper.

Chocolate Upside-Down Cake

2 c. Miniature marshmallows
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
2 c. hot water
1 pkg. Devil's Food Cake Mix
Chopped nuts, to taste

Place marshmallows in the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 pan. Combine sugar, cocoa and hot water. Pour over the marshmallows. Make cake mix according to directions on box. SLOWLY pour OVER the marshmallow mixture. Try and cover them - don't let them go to the top of the batter. Top with nuts. Bake at 375 deg. 45-50 minutes. Adjust for altitute according to cake directions on box.

When serving this cake, cut it and flip it upside down. Your "icing" is now on the top of the cake!

No comments: