Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy New Year!



Hard to believe 2009 is almost over. Lots of changes happened this year - some good and some not so good. I pray for each of you that 2010 is a prosperous and happy year. I pray for your goodhealth as well.




I was late this year when it came to my Christmas cards - in fact, they may end up being New Year's cards. I can't remember the last time I was late in getting my cards out. I also ran out of time for baking - that's a first also. But, I was busy with other things and I know that life can get in the way - the most important thing to remember throughout the Christmas season is that we are celebrating Jesus' birthday - not a secular holiday.

One of the things I did this year was make Christmas trees for an annual event at our church. The trees are really neat as you can see and SUPER easy! As you can see from the picture, they are small enough to fit on a table and make a great decoration in your home. Can you tell what it's made of??? Let's get a closer look:
Did you figure it out yet? OK, I'll tell you what it's made out of - it's a tomato cage! The cage is inverted and covered with "fancy" garland.
So, if you want to make one of these, here is the "rough" directions. Tomato cages come in two sizes - the one shown is the larger cage. You will need one "package" of garland. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. The garland is kind of wavy and on one side it's green and the other side is red. I also used green organza ribbon (also bought at HL) and the red star also come from HL. Yes, I support them - a lot. Anyway, before you cut your garland, measure it around each "level" and then cut it with an extra couple of inches to be on the safe side. Now you have two options of attaching it. The picture shown has the garland attached by twist ties. It works just fine, and is quick, however, you need to tie every few inches. A better way is to use a low-temp glue gun. If that is your choice, start AT THE TOP LEVEL and glue the garland. Then work your way down to the bottom level. Next, measure the ribbon from the point (where the star will go) down along the edge wires to the bottom. Overlap the ribbon at the point by just an inch or so. Put glue on the point and fold the ribbon over. At the bottom, place some hotglue up agains the wire and "in" the garland. Press your ribbon down into the glue and hold. I used a cheap bamboo skewer to do this so I would avoid burning my fingers. When everything is cooled off, cut ribbon to whatever length you desire and tie on the edge wires, right above each level. Slide down and arrange. Then gather up your points and slide the star on top and your done! It's really beautiful. I also did one in red and gold and hung large candy canes from each level. Another idea, as a centerpiece, is to place matching ball ornaments on the table top (within the tree). I placed 5 and that works as well. I also did a candy dish in the middle at my door entrance. I hope you enjoy this and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me


No comments: