Sunday, June 28, 2009

Townhall Meeting with Harry Teague

Friday night while driving home I heard Mark Levin say that Harry Teague was on the fence on voting for the cap and trade and asked his consituents to contact him. As soon as I got home, I tried. I tried the main switchboard, I tried his direct office line in Washington and I finally had to resort to e-mailing him my opposition to this terrible bill. Welllllllllllllll...............

We sat in front of our TV Friday and watched our representatives vote this country into poverty (more so than they already had). Seven Republicans - SEVEN! Shame on all of you and I will work diligently to help you find the door come 2010. I told my husband that I knew our Rep, Harry Teague voted yes on the bill. He asked me if I was sure. I got on line and found the roll call. Not only did he vote "yes" in the final bill, he voted "yes" in the test vote. The best part about the internet is that yes, you can find things pretty darn fast, much to the chagrin of our representatives in Washington, I'm sure.

It just so happened that Saturday morning we ran into someone who is actively involved in the tea parties and he informed us that Harry would be in town for a "townhall meeting" at 2 pm at a local restaurant. We decided to go to hear what he said and to see if we could voice our opposition to his vote.

So, we pulled into the parking lot and commented on all the pick-up trucks in the parking lot - the FULL parking log. I was very nervous about this. How do I confront a man about a vote and would I even be able to. I had been to John McCain's town hall meeting when he came to town and he stood in the middle of a room with all of us around him. He took questions from anyone who raised their hands. That is what we expected - boy were we wrong.

We walked in to a restaurant. Nothing was out of the ordinary. There were empty tables in places, but pretty much all tables had at least one person. So, we sat down with a friend and we decided that there was no way he would show his face, not that day. But about 15 minutes later, one of his staffers came in and told us that if we wanted to talk to Mr. Teague we would need to sign up. WHAT????? You heard me. He didn't want to talk to us as a group, he wanted to talk to us individually. He didn't want to let others hear what he was saying. He didn't want to be held accountable to the whole group. He showed up shortly beaming from ear to ear, eager to meet his happy constituents. Boy was he wrong. I would say there was approximately 60 people in that restaurant - maybe 6 were there to pat him on the back. The restaurant quickly filled up, with lots of people standing up because there were no more seats. The staffer called people up by name and put them all in a row. My husband got called so he stood up and got in line. Two other people at our table got called up. While they were standing in line, someone who had run in our local elections walked in holding a sign that said "Cap and Trade = Big taxes". The crowd started cheering and yelling. Teague totally ignored the man.

My friend from the tea party then stood up right in front of Teague and asked him in a loud voice to account for his vote. She requested he stand up and give us all an answer, not hide behind a quiet little one on one meeting. We were all there for the same thing. WHY???? This was his response. He told us that he was an oil man, would always be an oil man and that he had put an amendment in the bill to protect the people of NM by exempting the small refineries from the cap and trade tax. He said it would save everyone who drove a vehicle in NM app. 20-45 cents a gallon on taxes. When he was questioned on the actual cost to individuals or house holds he said it would be the cost of a postage stamp. We all know how well the government runs the post office - it's in the red constantly, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

He voted yes because he was protecting his oil buddies in the eastern part of the state, plain and simple.

He voted ye because they were going to pass the bill anyway, so what did it matter if he voted yes? (Yes, that was one of his responses) and finally.........

Did he read the darn bill? The answer Yes...................well, sort of but not really. See, he has staffers that read the ENTIRE bill for him and then gave him a synopsis. He told the crowd that yes, he had read the bill, but he told my husband that no he had not. His. staffers. did.

What's wrong with this picture??

There were many angry people there. There were people telling us to get out because the townhall wasn't for us, but for them, his supporters. REALLY?? REALLY???? I may not have voted for the man, but I did vote. Therefore, I have the RIGHT to be at the meeting and hold my representative or representatives in Washington accountable for their actions, especially when it affects me. It doesn't just affect his happy followers, it affects all of us. We were told that the few that supported him wanted us out because we didn't vote for him. Now, if I hadn't voted, I might be able to see their point, but when you vote, regardless of who you vote for, it is up to you to make sure that your voice is heard.

I learned that it really doesn't matter what we want. That the parties have already decided for us what is best for us. I have learned that our voices are lost. The people we put in office don't represent us - they represent themselves and their own best interests.

I have learned that I need to become more active in politics - I may not be able to run, but I can support those whose beliefs I agree with. I learned that Washington changes people and not for the better, unfortunately.

I learned that our freedom is precious and we better stand up and speak up, or we will lose what little freedome we have left.

Are you listening Mr. Teague???

10 comments:

dtbull said...

I write Teague on his website http://www.teague.house.gov/. He sometimes responds with a two to three page email.I don't agree with all he is doing but at least he responds to people. Sen Bingaman sends a one paragraph thank you kiss my ...!
I applaud all the peolpe who attended the town hall, maybe, just maybe, he will see that he didn't really win this part of the district and there are people with principal around who will stand up for what they believe in.

Robert said...

Question Mam

Have you read the ENTIRE BIBLE? Have you read the 300 page amendment, the book of Morman? Let me quess your priest has...

So, how do you know what's really in it

LaDonna said...

Robert, in answer to you question, no I have not read the entire Bible, however, I have one book left in the New Testament and I've read parts of the Old Testament. I do read my Bible. As for the book of Mormon... why would I??? I'm Baptist. The Bible is my instruction manual. I don't believe the Book of Mormon is an amendment to the Bible. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

To LaDonna... well said! I agree it's just that they don't care anymore. It's sad what our country has come to.

To Robert:
You can't compare the Bible, a book that Christians believe is inspired by God to something totally written by men and women.

Robert said...

But, how do you know what is in the Bible if you haven't read it. You have someone to guide you.

It is the same thing!

LaDonna said...

No Robert it's not the same thing. The Bible is God inspired and there are many of us that do read it and use it to guide us in our daily living and choices that we make. They are not the same thing.

The government has no business telling me how to live my life. I think I'm pretty capable of doing just fine without it's help. I think I handle my finances much better then the govt. does. I am raising a very contented child without the govt.'s help. I am smart enough to go to a doctor and make my own decisions concerning my health. I am smart enough to read the label on a Tylenol bottle to know how much to take so it won't kill me. I'm smart enough to know what type of light bulbs to use in my home. Basically, I'm pretty darn smart. I live WITHIN my budget. The govt. doesn't and won't. AND I'm tired of them taking more of my money and freedoms because the govt. feels it has the right to. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Dawn said...

Me again.... I was the Anonymous before.

Robert I agree with Ladonna... you can't compare the 2. Not only for what we both have said, but also we didn't VOTE for the Bible.

It's stupid to sign something that you haven't read and even stupider to VOTE for something and not read it.

New Mexico resident said...

I'll try my comment again:

LaDonna: I find fault in your argument that you're living without the government's help. Government at all levels is an important part of our lives:
"I think I handle my finances much better then [sic] the govt. does."
You're forgetting the regulations of banks, financial institutions, and inflation pressures by the gov't, which keeps your money worth more. You're forgetting that it's the government that keeps the monetary supply flowing and it's the same government that prints the bills in your pocket.
"I am raising a very contented child without the govt.'s help."
Is your child in public school? Even if they are not, does your child breathe clean air and drink clean water (which is provided by city gov't in most cases) and does your child read books, watch TV, or use the internet (all of which exist and are regulated in their current state by government grants, research, or other initiatives)?
"I am smart enough to go to a doctor and make my own decisions concerning my health. I am smart enough to read the label on a Tylenol bottle to know how much to take so it won't kill me."
Would you be able to regulate, without the FDA, the consistency of Tylenol in those pills, so taking one isn't a gamble? Or can you, without government, regulate other foods or drugs? Could you, without government regulations, determine if your doctor was properly licensed to practice medicine, or if the same drugs he uses to treat you are regulated like the Tylenol?
You get my point. People forget how integral these regulations and successes are to our daily lives when they work, and most of them work very well.
Let's all have some respectful debate on the issues and determine what's best for all Americans and for our future citizens. I'm willing to give up a little bit to give my children a better, cleaner, safer, and more productive life.

LaDonna said...

New Mexico resident, you and I will never agree on this so there is no point. I do not want anymore govt. in my life than is required by the Constitution. Yes, the govt. does some good things, but it is not the answer to every problem. You think that the only answer is for the govt. to step in and take over our lives. I don't agree. I pay my taxes and social security and my voice is not heard in Washington. I believe in smaller govt. I don't want Uncle Sam sitting down at my dinner table every day. I also don't want him telling me what will be on my plate each night. I have more faith in people than you do apparently. I think we are smarter than our govt. gives us credit for.

As for the govt. and my money. It's the govt. that sold our gold that backed our $$. There is no support behind our dollars anymore. You're also right in that the govt. prints the money - too much printing in fact. What are you going to do when we have hyper inflation when the market is flooded with too much money and the bottom falls out of the dollar?? Me, I'm figuring on having to barter to feed my family. No faith in the govt. there.

I pay taxes for my child to go to public school, but no she doesn't go. I have no faith in our public school system. I also don't want my child subject to revisionist history concerning our country, science and anything else you can list at this point. As for the air we breathe, obviously you don't live too close to the Texas border or you would know the air isn't that clean here. Water??? Well water, sorry. Books, internet and tv?? Yes, we all read, but I'd gladly give up tv and the internet if our taxes go up. Spending my money wisely, you know.

As for the medicine, I think our doctors are over-regulated. So much so they can't do their jobs.

We are becoming a nanny state and that is very wrong.

Radiant Times said...

Thank you , LaDonna, for your comments on the Teague visit! Wish I had been there!

Ruth Seiler