Sunday, July 20, 2008

Zucchini and Chocolate Chip Cake

I got this recipe from someone at our local farmer's market. He gave me a piece of this cake and it was wonderful - that was when he told me it had zucchini in it. I told him I HAD to have the recipe because we sold produce at the market and I could use that recipe for my customers. Everyone who has tried it has loved it. Just a word of advise - if you use frozen zucchini, make sure that you use whatever liquid is in the bag with the zucchini - the cake definitely needs that moisture and if you do not use it, the cake is very dry and crumbly. Been there, done that.

1/4 c. butter AND 1/4 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. oil
1 egg
1/2 c. sour milk
1/4 c. cocoa
2 c. shredded zucchini
12 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 deg.

Cream together butter, shortening, oil and sugar with an electric mixer. Add vanilla, egg and sour milk (sour milk: 1/2 c. milk less 1 T. of milk. Replace that one T. milk with 1 T. white vinegar). Mix well. Add all dry ingredients and mix well again. Add all but about 1/2 a cup of the chocolate chips. Add the zucchini last. Stir until all is well mixed. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. The batter will be very thick, so you will need to spread it out with a spoon. Bake at 325 for 45 - 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Icing ideas: Dark chocolate or peanut butter icing. Personally, tho, I like Cool Whip.

No comments: