Monday, September 28, 2009

Coffee Mug Cozy Pattern

I recently joined a swap for a coaster but we could also make a mug cozy if we wanted. Not knowing what I was doing, I searched the net like crazy trying to find one that I could do in a fairly short amount of time (I'm not the fastest knitter). I came across one I liked but I struggled with understanding the directions, soooooo, I decided to make up my own pattern. I like it and it's pretty easy and quick! I hope you enjoy it as well.

Materials:
Size 6 circular needles
Sportweight yarn (app. 70 yds)
Darning needle
2 buttons
Directions:
CO 11 stitches
Knit 3 rows
Row 4: K4, bind off 3, knit to end (this will make your buttonhole)
Row 5: P4, cast on 3, P4
Row 6: Knit
Row 7: Purl
Repeat rows 6 and 7 three more times
Begin Increases:
Row 1: K1, K1fb twice, k5, k1fb twice, k1
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K1, K1fb twice, knit to last three stitches, K1fb twice, K1
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have 23 stitches on your needles
Purl one last row
Body of Cozy:
Row 1: (right side): K3, *sl1 purlwise, k3; repeat from * to end
Row 2: K3, *yf, sl1 purlwise, yb, k3; repeat from * to end
Row 3: K1, *sl1 purlwise, k3; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, sl1 purlwise, k1
Row 4: P1, sl1 purlwise, *p3, sl1 purlwise; repeat from * to last stitch, p1
Repeat rows 1-4 until you have 7 inches from the beginning of the decorative stitch. At this point, test it on your mug to make sure it will go around your mug, (but not overlap your buttonhole flap). You may have to adjust slightly for your mug, depending on the size.

Begin Decreases:
Row 1: (right side) : k1, ssk twice, knit to the last 5 stitches, k2tog twice, k1
Row 2: purl
Continue with this pattern until you have 11 stitches left.
Knit even in stockinette for 6 rows.
Knit 3 rows (garter stitch)
Bind off


Button Placement:
Wrap your cozy around your mug and see where you need to place your button. Mark area with a stitch marker if need be. Take your button and place it on top of the cozy and run your yarn thru to the backside. Take your yarn and thread your hidden button with it. Tie off the buttons well. Clip your threads and you’re done! (The button on the back helps keep your button on the front tight and helps keep your buttonhole from pulling on the outside button.

4 comments:

bespoke mugs said...

nice mugs cover.nice post thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

In the button hole row, I think row 4, is the K6 correct? I followed as directed, and with the cast on stitches from the next row, two holes are formed. I didn't think that was correct, so I pulled out, and K4, then bound 3, K to end, and the cast on stitches from the purl row matched up to make the button hole.Not sure if i am making the mistake, or if there is a small glitch. The rest is working just fine. Thanks so much for the pattern!! Making my first cozy now :)

LaDonna said...

Nadine, I made the correction. Thanks so much. I changed it from a K6 to a K4 and it shoudl be fine.

prawninator said...

How do you keep it from curling inwards?