Friday, March 15, 2013

The Owl Cowl

My daughter is a Chi Omega and she is fascinated with owls.   My mom used to collect owl stuff, so I thought it was only fitting I design a cowl for both.  My mom would have loved it.


OWL COWL
LaDonna Maxwell

1 skein fingering weight yarn
1 size 6 circular needle - 16”
1 stitch marker

sb - slip bead
C4F - Cable 4 front - place 2 stitches on a cable needle, hold in front of work, knit 2 stitches then knit the 2 from the cable needle.
C4B - Cable 4 back - place 2 stitches on a cable needle, hold in back of work, knit 2 stitches then knit the 2 from the cable needle.

String 24 beads on your yarn.

Cast on 144 stitches on size 6 needles using the long tail cast on method.  Join, being careful not to twist.  Place your marker.

Purl 4 rows
Knit 6 rows
Purl 4 rows
Knit 6 rows
Purl 4 rows
Knit 6 rows

Owl Section:

Row 1: p2, *k8, p4 - repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2
Row  2:      p2, *C4F, C4B, p4; repeat from *  to last 2 stitches, p2
Row  3:      p2, k8, *p4, k8; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2
Row  4:      p2 *k8, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2

Row 5:       BEAD ROW:  p2, k2, sb, k2, sb, k2 *p4 (k2, sb)2x,* repeat to last 2 stitches p2
Row 6:       p2, *k8, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches,  p2
Row 7:       p2, k8, *p4, k8; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2
Row 8:     p2, *k8, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2
Repeat rows 7 and 8 one more time.
Row 11      p2 *C4F, C4B, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2
Row 12:     p2, *k8, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2

For the next 12 rows, p2,* k8, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2


Row 25:        P2 *C4F, C4B, p4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, P2
Row  26:        P2, *K8, P4; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, P2

Purl 1 row

Knit 6 rows
Purl 4 rows
Knit 6 rows
Purl 4 rows
Knit 6 rows
Purl 4 4ows

Bind off purlwise using a stretchy bind off.

You can adjust the length of the your cowl by adding or subtracting 12 stitches.

You can also increase the size of your owls by adding rows in the body section (rows 13 - 26).  Just keep repeating p2, *k8, p4, k2, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Can't wait to start this project :)

Meaghan said...

I want to get started like...now! But I don't have any beads! What size would you recommend and where is the best place to get them?

Meaghan said...

I really want to try this but I don't have beads and can't decide if I want to go out and get some or not. Do you think it would look just as nice without the beads? If you think the beads really sell it what size/kind/brand do you recommend? Thanks!

LaDonna said...

Hi Meaghan. I'm sorry I didn't see your comments sooner. You can get your beads at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They are slightly larger than regular seed beens (I want to say the are a 6.0). The beads are for the eyes. If you don't want to do beads, you could do nupps instead. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Does the asterisk in the BEAD ROW signify a repeat?

LaDonna said...

Hi Anonymous - I'm sorry for not seeing your post sooner. Yes, that is what the asterisk means.

Kristen Keam said...

Very confused on the bead row. I only see 1 * on the row. Where am I supposed to repeat to and from? Can anyone simplify the row 5 for me?

LaDonna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaDonna said...

Kristen Keam, I added an ending * for you so you'd know which section to repeat. Hope that helps

Vala said...

Wow! I love your design!! Being a big owl fan, this is right up my alley. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful pattern. I'm on my way out now to buy the beads. 😀 Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the owl pattern. How lucky you were to have a Mom that you miss.

There was an error in this gadget